Thursday, February 5, 2015

What drives me nuts about Jerry Jones....

This post is a little dated.  I have a backlog. Sue me.

Disclaimer: I am a Jerry Jones fan.  Not that I think he does everything right.  Because he does everything his way and he tries so hard to be nice to the fans.  I respect those two things a  lot.

I hated his press conference after retaining his coordinators.  What did I hate about that, you ask?  Mr. Jones made a comment that about coaches that got to what I really don't like about Jerry Jones. I don't have a recording of it, but the line was very close to this, "We retained the coaches we wanted to retain."

He made this comment with "offensive coordinator in name only" and OL coach Bill Callahan still floating out there.

Let me just vent my bile here. Bill Callahan turned 3 young 1st rounders into pro bowl linemen.  That may not sound like much of an accomplishment, but what other Dallas 1st rounders have turned into pro bowlers lately?  Dez....

It is a short list.

I get that Callahan has probably been a pill to work with since Mr. Jones demoted him, but there is no questioning the job that he did in Dallas.

That was a low class move.  Because I have seen better from Mr. Jones and I like Mr. Jones I expect more from him.

This whole situation with Callahan emerged because Mr. Jones initially had a very stupid idea that a head coach should be his own coordinator.  Then when that failed miserably for the 4th or 5th time, Mr. Jones punished his head coach by inflicting him with two coordinators Garrett didn't trust --- a defensive coordinator who's scheme didn't fit the secondary and Callahan, an offensive coordinator who came out of the Walsh school and had never called plays in an offense out of the Coryell school.

When it failed miserably and Garrett had to rescue the offense, Jones demoted Callahan.  When Callahan tried to leave, Jones blocked him. Callahan had a right to be bitter.

But he still did an exceptional coaching job last year.  That he made Mr. Jones "uncomfortable" to quote Mr. Jones after all that, is no reason to take that shot at him on his way out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment